Most IRS CI investigations focus on federal tax fraud. Federal tax fraud includes tax evasion, failure to collect or pay tax, failure to file a return, supply information, or pay tax, making fraudulent and false statements, and attempting to interfere with the administration of the tax laws. Examples include:
- Deliberately underreporting or omitting income,
- Overstating the amount of deductions
- Keeping two sets of books
- Making false entries in books and records
- Claiming personal expenses as business expenses
- Claiming false deductions
- Hiding or transferring assets or income.
Tax fraud is not just a crime limited to individuals or companies. Tax preparers have also been indicted for alleged tax fraud schemes.
At Thorn Law Group, we provide criminal defense for taxpayers and tax professionals accused of tax fraud. Time is of the essence in tax fraud investigations. Having an experienced tax litigation attorney working with you early in the investigation is the best way to protect your rights and understand your options.
Contact Kevin E. Thorn immediately at 202 349-4033 for a confidential consultation if you know or suspect you have become a target of a tax fraud investigation and would like to review your options and potential exposure.