WASHINGTON, DC TAX ATTORNEYS – THORN LAW GROUP
Mary Elizabeth Rinaldi is a Member of Thorn Law Group / Director of Tax Controversies.
Mary Elizabeth Rinaldi is a highly respected member of the professional tax community with a National reputation. Her understanding of the intricacies of U.S. tax laws, income and information reporting requirements, IRS Audit and Appeals processes, and court procedures has enabled her to successfully represent her clients in civil and criminal tax litigation and in tax disputes before the Internal Revenue Service, the Department of Justice, state taxing authorities, and in federal courts.
Ms. Rinaldi is a highly sought after tax professional that has represented clients successfully across the country and around the globe. She represents individuals, trusts, foundations and businesses with U.S. and international tax and asset reporting responsibilities in audits with the IRS and state taxing authorities. She is experienced in representing U.S. persons and businesses with income from domestic and international sources, as well as foreign persons with U.S.-sourced income. She also represents businesses in employment tax audits and litigation. Ms. Rinaldi’s creative approach to problem-solving has aided many of Thorn Law Group’s clients to successfully resolve complex tax planning and litigation concerns.
Ms. Rinaldi advises individuals, trusts and businesses on current tax and information reporting compliance, and routinely represents and counsels clients worldwide facing prosecution for failure to report income or to disclose offshore financial accounts and other foreign assets. Ms. Rinaldi represents and counsels clients with:
- IRS voluntary disclosures
- International wealth and investment structures and management
- FBAR, FATCA and other international asset reporting violations
- Asset protection and estate planning for families and individuals with multinational assets and holdings
- Sensitive civil tax examinations where fraud, money laundering or criminal penalty issues may arise
- Tax and reporting compliance for U.S. citizens living abroad, U.S. companies doing business overseas, and foreign persons and entities doing business in the U.S.
- Criminal tax fraud investigations
- Criminal and civil tax disputes with DC, Virginia, Maryland and other states
- Employment tax audits
Prior to joining Thorn Law Group, Ms. Rinaldi served as a trial attorney for the IRS and also served as a judicial law clerk to the U.S. Tax Court. Her experience inside the federal government allows Ms. Rinaldi to provide her clients with unique insights in to how the IRS, Department of Justice and the federal courts view, process and decide tax cases. Ms. Rinaldi uses her years of service as an attorney to the IRS and the U.S. Tax Court to guide taxpayers through the civil tax audit and criminal investigation processes, as well as the administrative appeals and protest procedures, collection procedures and litigation. This experience and perspective has helped many Thorn Law Group clients successfully resolve their U.S. and international tax planning and litigation matters.
Professional Associations & Memberships
- American Bar Association: Member & Active Contributor
- ABA Section of Taxation’s Civil & Criminal Tax Penalties Committee
- ABA Section of Taxation’s Court Practice & Procedures Committee
- ABA Section of Criminal Justice’s White Collar Crime Division
- Civil & Criminal Tax Penalties Task Force
- Offshore Voluntary Disclosure Task Force
Prior Professional Experience
- Honorable Laurence J. Whalen of the United States Tax Court : Judicial Law Clerk
- Internal Revenue Service : Trial Attorney
- LL.M., Taxation Law, Boston University School of Law
- J.D., University of Miami School of Law
- B.A., Boston University
- District of Columbia
- United States Tax Court
- United States Court of Federal Claims
To learn more about how a Washington, DC tax attorney from the Thorn Law Group can help you with your tax and legal issues, contact Mary Elizabeth Rinaldi at firstname.lastname@example.org, or (202) 349-4033.