Archive by Year:2017 - Page 4

How Do I File an FBAR?

Offshore Account Update

Posted in on March 31, 2017

If you have any financial interest in offshore bank accounts, or if you have signatory authority on any foreign bank accounts, you are required to file a Report of Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts (FBAR).  You must file this form for bank accounts, brokerage accounts, mutual funds, and most other types of foreign accounts.   The annual filing date for FBARs is April 15, and the maximum extension of the filing deadline is six-months, according to the IRS.Read More

The Swiss Bank Program is Coming to an End

Offshore Account Update

Posted in on February 24, 2017

Switzerland was once a haven for investors who wanted to have a safe place to keep their money offshore. This has not been the case for a long time. Many offshore investors have had their account information turned over to the IRS. Still others have worked with a Washington DC tax law firm to participate in voluntary disclosure of offshore funds before taxing authorities came after them for failure to declare their accounts in required annual disclosures (FBARs).

Read More

Swiss Expect Deal With U.S. For Automatic Exchange of Bank Data

Offshore Account Update

Posted in on January 20, 2017

United States taxing authorities have been working to obtain information from Swiss banks about U.S. accountholders so that the IRS and Department of Justice can take action when U.S.-affiliated individuals have undeclared Swiss bank accounts.

Read More

Thorn Law Group

Get Trusted Help Now

Over 80 years of expertise for your complicated tax law issues.

Back to the Top